Building, Design & Construction
Vision StatementTo create head of household jobs and housing designed for personal enjoyment, create a sense of place and demonstrate the efficient use of resources.
To fulfill the vision of improving the jobs and housing in San Luis Obispo County, Building Design & Construction cluster members propose to accomplish the following:
- Create head of household jobs complimented with appropriate housing types
- Promote jobs and housing designed for personal enjoyment, create a sense of place and demonstrate the efficient use of resources
- Support community design and housing with regard to Federal and state codes with incentives, consumer choice and cost benefit analysis driving growth
- Establish a process that will lead to a stable and sustainable balance of employment and economic growth
Leonard Grant, RRM Design Group
Debbie Rudd, RRM Design Group
- Supported the San Luis Obispo County Process Improvement Committee efforts related to Land Use and Building Permits. Implementation measures provided direct positive impacts to priority outcomes identified in the Economic Strategy.
- Land Use Study - Participated with County staff in a workgroup focused on reviewing project proposals and developing recommendations to the Board of Supervisors for contractor selection. Cluster Chairs submitted a formal response to the final report outcomes on behalf of the cluster members.
- Economic Analysis Program - Worked with County staff to develop a voluntary pilot program which provides applicants with an opportunity to highlight community benefits and to model potential economic impacts for projects going before the County Board of Supervisors for review.
Action Teams and Projects
- Create a workforce housing survey and gather relevent data for the local building industry
- Develop an economic benefit analysis framework to support the County of San Luis Obispo
- Develop compelling model projects to illustrate intelligently designed buildings and innovative land use applications
- Initiated a cross cluster action team to evaluate expansion needs and opportunities within the Knowledge & Innovation and Specialized Manufacturing industries and to explore potential collaborative programming and planning.
2013 Strategic Planning in process.