Knowledge & Innovation
Vision StatementTo achieve recognition of SLO County’s cradle of innovation and technology infrastructure which offers a superior set of resources available to plant, grow and sustain each business with a competitive advantage.
- Endorse fiber optic connectivity throughout SLO County
- Complete Broadband identification project and organize cluster companies with community partners to take action
- Foster collaboration with Cal Poly State University and Cuesta College to hold job fairs for local companies
- Explore innovation test bed possibilities with a specific project towards health information exchange with the Health Services cluster
- Increase regional awareness of the Knowledge and Innovation companies and their hiring needs
June McIvor, Sinsheimer Juhnke McIvor & Stroh
Russ Levanway, TekTegrity
For more information or to get involved contact EVC at (805) 788-2012 or email@example.com
Local Employer Job Fairs, Cal Poly and Cuesta, Winter 2013
Finding that many local college students want to work in the area upon graduation, but do not have a great awareness of the opportunities available, the Knowledge and Innovation cluster has taken the lead to organize Cuesta and Cal Poly job fairs specifically for local companies. Participation is offered at a discount, making this an attractive option for all Central Coast businesses.
- Initiated collaborative workforce projects with Cal Poly and Cuesta College.
- Established a plan for a local employer job fair at Cuesta College and Cal Poly in early 2012.
- Began work with SLO County on a countywide plan for broadband deployment using a public/private partnership approach. All areas will be considered for increased broadband penetration, including underserved areas within the County.
- The Knowledge & Innovation and Health Services clusters have planned the first of a series of meetings to develop an awareness of the benefits and challenges provided by a Health Information Exchange (HIE).
Partnered with the Health Services cluster to support an educational outreach to health care professionals related to Health Information Exchange technologies.
Action Teams and Projects
- Raise awareness of Knowledge and Innovation companies and related benefits to SLO County.
- Enhance business community utilization of internship and job placement programs offered by Cuesta College and Cal Poly.
- Coordinate Local Employers' Job Fair at Cal Poly.
- Increase connectivity, broadband access and fiber optic infrastructure.
- Work with the Health Services group to increase awareness and advocate for a Health Information Exchange for SLO County.
- Vision in Action - Working with the Building Design & Construction and Specialized Manufacturing clusters to evaluate expansion needs and opportunities and explore the potential for collaborative programming and planning.
- 2013 Strategic Planning in process.